Monarchy Forum
Sign up Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
azadi

Registered:
Posts: 632
Reply with quote  #1 
I support the French Revolution of 1789, which made France a constitutional monarchy with an elected National Assembly, introduced freedom of religion and abolished serfdom, while opposing the French Revolution of 1792, which abolished the monarchy and paved the way for the Jacobin Reign of Terror. I like Orleanism, which wants to reconcile monarchism and the legacy of the French Revolution. I despise French Legitimism, because it's a reactionary ideology, which rejects the legacy of the French Revolution entirely.
MatthewJTaylor

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #2 
When you say Orleanism, which Orleanism do you mean?
There are three:

Populist Orleanism - thinks that the Orleans dynasty can claim throne regardless of any question of bourbon legitimacy
Fusioniste Orleanism - thinks that after Henri de Chambord the House of Orleans is the legitimate successor dynasty to the Bourbon kings
Republican Orleanism - a force in French politics inspired by the politics of the House of Orleans but isn't interested in any restoration.

__________________
ceterum censeo caetum europaeum delendum esse
The Scottish Tory - https://sites.google.com/view/scottishtory
Scots for a French Royal Restoration - https://sites.google.com/view/sfrr
azadi

Registered:
Posts: 632
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewJTaylor
When you say Orleanism, which Orleanism do you mean?
There are three:

Populist Orleanism - thinks that the Orleans dynasty can claim throne regardless of any question of bourbon legitimacy
Fusioniste Orleanism - thinks that after Henri de Chambord the House of Orleans is the legitimate successor dynasty to the Bourbon kings
Republican Orleanism - a force in French politics inspired by the politics of the House of Orleans but isn't interested in any restoration.

Populist Orleanism, because I support the legacy of the 1789 revolution, while rejecting the 1792 revolution, and I want the Tricolore to remain the flag of France. King Charles X was a very bad king of France, because he tried to restore the Ancien Regime. The king of a restored monarchy ought to accept some of the changes, which happened during the republic. Louis XVIII was a far better king than Charles X, because he supported constitutional monarchy rather than trying to restore the Ancien Regime.
azadi

Registered:
Posts: 632
Reply with quote  #4 
I'm willing to support your Fusioniste Orleanist campaign, if you support keeping the Tricolore and supports a constitutional monarchy with a fully democratically elected parliament. I'm opposed to establishing a new Chamber of Peers in France.
MatthewJTaylor

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by azadi
I'm willing to support your Fusioniste Orleanist campaign, if you support keeping the Tricolore and supports a constitutional monarchy with a fully democratically elected parliament. I'm opposed to establishing a new Chamber of Peers in France.

I am open to either a tricolour or non-tricolour flag of France, whichever holds popular support. If France no longer wanted a tricolour, then I'd suggest a golden version of the Flag of Quebec.Royal tricolour.png  restored french flag.png It would be a constitutional monarchy with equal rights for Catholics, Non Catholic Christians and non Christians.
Whilst in an ideal world I would like a restored French peerage, that is not part of my campaign.



__________________
ceterum censeo caetum europaeum delendum esse
The Scottish Tory - https://sites.google.com/view/scottishtory
Scots for a French Royal Restoration - https://sites.google.com/view/sfrr
azadi

Registered:
Posts: 632
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewJTaylor

I am open to either a tricolour or non-tricolour flag of France, whichever holds popular support. If France no longer wanted a tricolour, then I'd suggest a golden version of the Flag of Quebec.Royal tricolour.png  restored french flag.png It would be a constitutional monarchy with equal rights for Catholics, Non Catholic Christians and non Christians.
Whilst in an ideal world I would like a restored French peerage, that is not part of my campaign.


I'm actually a Bonapartist, but I don't support a Bonaparte restoration, because the present-day Bonapartes aren't descendants of Napoleon. I consider supporting the Orleans dynasty the best option for French monarchism. I consider Louis Philippe a legitimate king of France unlike Fusioniste Orleanists, but I'm willing to support a Fusioniste campaign, because we currently support the same claimant to the French throne. 
I like your proposed new Tricolore. France will NEVER ditch the Tricolore, even in the unlikely event of a restoration of the French monarchy.
MatthewJTaylor

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #7 
Some Fusionistes recognise Louis Phillipe as the legitimate King of the French, and see the merging of the lines as a merging of the titles of King of France and King of the French.
I don't really, but I'm not opposed to the idea.
The modern Orleans dynasty tend to use imagery and regnal numbers indicating that they do not see Louis Phillipe as the true King, but they do use the tricolour etc. as their flag, so have accepted the legacy of the revolution.

__________________
ceterum censeo caetum europaeum delendum esse
The Scottish Tory - https://sites.google.com/view/scottishtory
Scots for a French Royal Restoration - https://sites.google.com/view/sfrr
MatthewJTaylor

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #8 
The King and the Dauphin with the tricolour:
ImageImage


__________________
ceterum censeo caetum europaeum delendum esse
The Scottish Tory - https://sites.google.com/view/scottishtory
Scots for a French Royal Restoration - https://sites.google.com/view/sfrr
MatthewJTaylor

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #9 
Jean in office.png 

__________________
ceterum censeo caetum europaeum delendum esse
The Scottish Tory - https://sites.google.com/view/scottishtory
Scots for a French Royal Restoration - https://sites.google.com/view/sfrr
azadi

Registered:
Posts: 632
Reply with quote  #10 
The Orleanist claimant to the French throne supporting the Tricolore is excellent news. Why have you made a proposed flag of France, which isn't a Tricolore, when the Orleanist claimant supports the Tricolore?
Monarchists condemning the French Revolution without distinguishing between the French Revolution of 1789 and the French Revolution of 1792 is annoying. I support the legacy of the French Revolution of 1789, but I oppose the legacy of the French Revolution of 1792.
MatthewJTaylor

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #11 

Quote:
Originally Posted by azadi
The Orleanist claimant to the French throne supporting the Tricolore is excellent news. Why have you made a proposed flag of France, which isn't a Tricolore, when the Orleanist claimant supports the Tricolore?
Monarchists condemning the French Revolution without distinguishing between the French Revolution of 1789 and the French Revolution of 1792 is annoying. I support the legacy of the French Revolution of 1789, but I oppose the legacy of the French Revolution of 1792.

I designed an alternative because I prefer it to the tricolour.

If France chooses to retain the tricolour, fine, but I wanted to show that a flag can be made distinctively French without relying on the Red White and Blue.


__________________
ceterum censeo caetum europaeum delendum esse
The Scottish Tory - https://sites.google.com/view/scottishtory
Scots for a French Royal Restoration - https://sites.google.com/view/sfrr
azadi

Registered:
Posts: 632
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewJTaylor


I designed an alternative because I prefer it to the tricolour.

If France chooses to retain the tricolour, fine, but I wanted to show that a flag can be made distinctively French without relying on the Red White and Blue.


Why do you dislike the Tricolore?
MatthewJTaylor

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by azadi

Why do you dislike the Tricolore?

It's quite boring and lacks the fleur de lis.

__________________
ceterum censeo caetum europaeum delendum esse
The Scottish Tory - https://sites.google.com/view/scottishtory
Scots for a French Royal Restoration - https://sites.google.com/view/sfrr
azadi

Registered:
Posts: 632
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewJTaylor

It's quite boring and lacks the fleur de lis.

Why not add the fleur de lis to the Tricolore?
MatthewJTaylor

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #15 
I've tried that as well, but preferred when I made a whole new design.

My campaign does not take a stance on the tricolour and uses both tricolour and non tricolour flags to represent France in our imagery.

__________________
ceterum censeo caetum europaeum delendum esse
The Scottish Tory - https://sites.google.com/view/scottishtory
Scots for a French Royal Restoration - https://sites.google.com/view/sfrr
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.