Monarchy Forum
Sign up Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 5 of 7     «   Prev   2   3   4   5   6   7   Next
azadi

Registered:
Posts: 632
Reply with quote  #61 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewJTaylor
For the last time, I am not a Germanophobe.
I love German Culture, I like German Food, I adore German music and whilst my German language skills are poor, I enjoy practicing them with Germans.
Some of my best school experiences were spent in Germany.
The notion that I in some way hate the German people is ridiculous.
I have concerns about the nature of German influence in Europe, that is all.
Whilst I continue to hold that the post WW1 settlement should have been to divide Germany into several kingdoms rather than one republic, my "ideal Europe" would contain a united Germany, with Georg Friedrich Ferdinand Prinz von Preußen as Emperor.
I would love to see Germany as a brother European nation to my own, just not "big brother".

If you are not a Germanophobe, why do you slander Germany by claiming, that the Federal Republic of Germany is a threat against the rest of Europe? The Federal Republic of Germany is a peaceful and democratic state. You claim, that Germany is a threat against the rest of Europe, solely because it's the largest country of Western Europe. That's nonsense.
Dividing Germany into several independent kingdoms after World War I never was a plausible option, because the Entente never occupied Germany, unlike after World War II, and most Germans wanted Germany to remain united after World War I. Monarchism remained strong in Germany during the Weimar era, but the German monarchists in the Weimar Republic wanted Germany to be a united Hohenzollern monarchy. They were strongly opposed to any partition of Germany. I'm personally strongly opposed to partition of Germany. I want the Basic Law of Germany to be amended in order to allow the Länder of Germany to become monarchies, but I prefer Germany to be a united republic to Germany being divided into several kingdoms.
I'm satisfied with Germany being a republic. I would like a Hohenzollern restoration to happen in Germany, but monarchism has been insignificant in Germany since the end of World War II. Germany doesn't need a monarchy, unlike Russia and Iran. Germany was after all unified by Bismarck, not by the Hohenzollerns, while the Romanovs are descended from Rurik, the founder of the Russian state, and Putin might also be descended from Rurik.
MatthewJTaylor

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #62 
Germany dominates Europe and I don't like that, you can feel free to have a different opinion.
I see no reason to through labels or accusations of slander around.
Even if I am wrong, it is not slander, since it is an honest and sincerely held belief.
I do apologise if my criticisms of German hegemony have offended you as a a friend of Germany, this was not my intention.

__________________
ceterum censeo caetum europaeum delendum esse
The Scottish Tory - https://sites.google.com/view/scottishtory
Scots for a French Royal Restoration - https://sites.google.com/view/sfrr
azadi

Registered:
Posts: 632
Reply with quote  #63 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewJTaylor
Germany dominates Europe and I don't like that, you can feel free to have a different opinion.
I see no reason to through labels or accusations of slander around.
Even if I am wrong, it is not slander, since it is an honest and sincerely held belief.
I do apologise if my criticisms of German hegemony have offended you as a a friend of Germany, this was not my intention.

I would like you to provide some evidence for the supposed German domination of Europe.
MatthewJTaylor

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #64 
Quote:
Originally Posted by azadi

I would like you to provide some evidence for the supposed German domination of Europe.

The fact that Angela Merkel, despite being a German, not EU, official has played such a large role in the nature of Brexit is an obvious start.

__________________
ceterum censeo caetum europaeum delendum esse
The Scottish Tory - https://sites.google.com/view/scottishtory
Scots for a French Royal Restoration - https://sites.google.com/view/sfrr
azadi

Registered:
Posts: 632
Reply with quote  #65 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewJTaylor

The fact that Angela Merkel, despite being a German, not EU, official has played such a large role in the nature of Brexit is an obvious start.

Emmanuel Macron has also played a large role in the Brexit negotiations, and Jean-Claude Juncker and Donald Tusk have also played large roles in the Brexit negotiations. Germany obviously has a lot of influence in the EU, but France also has a lot of influence in the EU. Membership of the EU is entirely voluntary. Nobody is preventing your country from leaving the EU, except your own politicians. 
MatthewJTaylor

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #66 
Quote:
Originally Posted by azadi

Emmanuel Macron has also played a large role in the Brexit negotiations, and Jean-Claude Juncker and Donald Tusk have also played large roles in the Brexit negotiations. Germany obviously has a lot of influence in the EU, but France also has a lot of influence in the EU. Membership of the EU is entirely voluntary. Nobody is preventing your country from leaving the EU, except your own politicians. 

I agree with you there, our inability to exit is our own fault

__________________
ceterum censeo caetum europaeum delendum esse
The Scottish Tory - https://sites.google.com/view/scottishtory
Scots for a French Royal Restoration - https://sites.google.com/view/sfrr
azadi

Registered:
Posts: 632
Reply with quote  #67 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewJTaylor

I agree with you there, our inability to exit is our own fault

Do you support Boris Johnson's Brexit deal?
azadi

Registered:
Posts: 632
Reply with quote  #68 
If the German Hohenzollern monarchy is restored, I want the official name of the German state to be Bundesstaat Deutschland (Federal State of Germany), because I don't want the official name of the German state in English to be German Empire. The term Empire is tainted, and if it becomes part of the official name of the German state, everybody will claim, that Germany is going to be an aggressive state bent on domination of Europe once more. But I want the title of the German monarch to be Kaiser (Emperor). I want the current flag of Germany to be the flag of a restored German monarchy, because it symbolizes the democratic tradition of Germany, while the black-white-red imperial tricolour of Germany symbolizes Germany being an aggressive state in the eyes of foreigners.
MatthewJTaylor

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #69 
Quote:
Originally Posted by azadi

Do you support Boris Johnson's Brexit deal?

For now as a stepping stone to a Canada style deal.
I realise that it is far from perfect but i doubt that we'll get anything better at the moment.


__________________
ceterum censeo caetum europaeum delendum esse
The Scottish Tory - https://sites.google.com/view/scottishtory
Scots for a French Royal Restoration - https://sites.google.com/view/sfrr
MatthewJTaylor

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #70 
Quote:
Originally Posted by azadi
If the German Hohenzollern monarchy is restored, I want the official name of the German state to be Bundesstaat Deutschland (Federal State of Germany), because I don't want the official name of the German state in English to be German Empire. The term Empire is tainted, and if it becomes part of the official name of the German state, everybody will claim, that Germany is going to be an aggressive state bent on domination of Europe once more. But I want the title of the German monarch to be Kaiser (Emperor). I want the current flag of Germany to be the flag of a restored German monarchy, because it symbolizes the democratic tradition of Germany, while the black-white-red imperial tricolour of Germany symbolizes Germany being an aggressive state in the eyes of foreigners.

Would there by a way to say "Federal Kingdom" in German?

__________________
ceterum censeo caetum europaeum delendum esse
The Scottish Tory - https://sites.google.com/view/scottishtory
Scots for a French Royal Restoration - https://sites.google.com/view/sfrr
azadi

Registered:
Posts: 632
Reply with quote  #71 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewJTaylor

Would there by a way to say "Federal Kingdom" in German?

Bundeskönigreich. But I want the monarch of a restored Hohenzollern German monarchy to be called Kaiser, because it's the traditional title of the monarch of a united Germany.
Murtagon

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 78
Reply with quote  #72 
Would the Prince of Prussia in that case be "König von Deutschland"? Assuming, of course, that only he is restored to a throne.

Having said that, however, I am reminded of an idea I had about Germany and Italy. All legitimate pretenders become part of a council with a hierarchy that is based on the titles they claim. They would then serve as advisors to the main monarch or maybe something like a more elite House of Lords.

I already know that many monarchists would be opposed to that idea, especially (South) Italian ones. Oh well...
azadi

Registered:
Posts: 632
Reply with quote  #73 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murtagon
Would the Prince of Prussia in that case be "König von Deutschland"? Assuming, of course, that only he is restored to a throne.

Having said that, however, I am reminded of an idea I had about Germany and Italy. All legitimate pretenders become part of a council with a hierarchy that is based on the titles they claim. They would then serve as advisors to the main monarch or maybe something like a more elite House of Lords.

I already know that many monarchists would be opposed to that idea, especially (South) Italian ones. Oh well...

I would like the Hohenzollern monarchy of Germany to be restored, but I will not advocate for restoration of the German monarchy. I like the German republic, because it recognizes titles of nobility as part of the legal name, because it's a democracy and because it rejects Nazism and Communism. Monarchism has been insignificant in Germany since the end of World War II. Germany is a lost cause to monarchism, unlike Russia, where some prominent supporters of Putin are monarchists, and Iran, where Reza Pahlavi enjoys widespread popular support. 
Wessexman

Registered:
Posts: 1,332
Reply with quote  #74 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewJTaylor

I agree with you there, our inability to exit is our own fault


To a large degree, yes. But the EU hasn't really helped. They have tried to get what they could from the negotiations, instead of making the process easier, and have held up the process by siding with the Europhile parliament (Merkel allegedly even justified this as not getting involved in UK domestic politics!). Verhofstadt was even allegedly colluding with Bercow. There's been a kind of vicious feedback interplay between them, in which the parliament undermind our negotiating position by taking no deal off the table (which is like beginning to haggle by making it clear to the seller you will buy the object whatever happens) and the EU has aided the parliament by making it clear they will accept long and repeated extensions, taking off pressure from the Europhiles in parliament to do anything.  
azadi

Registered:
Posts: 632
Reply with quote  #75 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wessexman


To a large degree, yes. But the EU hasn't really helped. They have tried to get what they could from the negotiations, instead of making the process easier, and have held up the process by siding with the Europhile parliament (Merkel allegedly even justified this as not getting involved in UK domestic politics!). Verhofstadt was even allegedly colluding with Bercow. 

The EU has never tried to prevent Great Britain from leaving the EU. The EU doesn't need Great Britain. The European federalists will actually be better off without Great Britain, because Great Britain has obstructed further European integration. The EU has merely defended the interests of the Republic of Ireland and the interests of the EU citizens living in Great Britain. The EU hasn't made unreasonable demands during the Brexit negotiations. The DUP and the Faragists have tried to obstruct the Brexit negotiations. Boris Johnson has accepted the demands of the EU, and an amicable divorce between Great Britain and the EU will happen, if the Conservatives obtain a majority in the House of Commons on December 12.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.