Monarchy Forum
Sign up Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
MatthewJTaylor

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 156
Reply with quote  #1 
I am aware that a small fraction of the population of the Republic of Ireland still carry Unionist sympathies.
Are there any (presumably minor) parties that support closer relations between Great Britain and Ireland (not counting European integration)?
Which parties do remaining unionists tend to vote for in Irish elections?

__________________
ceterum censeo caetum europaeum delendum esse
The Scottish Tory - https://sites.google.com/view/scottishtory
Scots for a French Royal Restoration - https://sites.google.com/view/sfrr
azadi

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 814
Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewJTaylor
I am aware that a small fraction of the population of the Republic of Ireland still carry Unionist sympathies.
Are there any (presumably minor) parties that support closer relations between Great Britain and Ireland (not counting European integration)?
Which parties do remaining unionists tend to vote for in Irish elections?

No political party in Southern Ireland support closer relations between Great Britain and Ireland, but the Reform Group is a Southern Irish organization, which supports Southern Ireland rejoining the Commonwealth. As far as I know, southern unionists usually vote for Fine Gael, because it supported the Free State during the Irish Civil War.
Southern Ireland ought to remain an independent state, but I would like Southern Ireland to become a Commonwealth realm. The current constitution of the Republic of Ireland actually makes it possible for Southern Ireland to be a Commonwealth realm, because it allows the monarch of Great Britain to represent Southern Ireland in foreign affairs, while the President of Ireland performs the domestic duties of a head of state.
I would like Ireland to be unified as a Commonwealth realm.
azadi

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 814
Reply with quote  #3 
My proposed flag of united Ireland:
flag of united ireland.png 

MatthewJTaylor

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 156
Reply with quote  #4 
I suggest simply the Saint Patrick's cross.
It is a saintly flag so should be tolerated by the Green side and is in the Union Flag so should be tolerated by the Orange side.
As such, neither green nor orange would be necessary.
Anyway, my vision of a United Ireland, is as a constituent Kingdom of the UK along side Great Britain with the UK acting like a 2-state federation (this is markedly different from normal British federalism which would divide Great Britain into Scotland, Wales and several English states, so I don't call myself a federalist).

__________________
ceterum censeo caetum europaeum delendum esse
The Scottish Tory - https://sites.google.com/view/scottishtory
Scots for a French Royal Restoration - https://sites.google.com/view/sfrr
azadi

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 814
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewJTaylor
I suggest simply the Saint Patrick's cross.
It is a saintly flag so should be tolerated by the Green side and is in the Union Flag so should be tolerated by the Orange side.
As such, neither green nor orange would be necessary.
Anyway, my vision of a United Ireland, is as a constituent Kingdom of the UK along side Great Britain with the UK acting like a 2-state federation (this is markedly different from normal British federalism which would divide Great Britain into Scotland, Wales and several English states, so I don't call myself a federalist).

Why do you want to abolish the Scottish Parliament? 
MatthewJTaylor

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 156
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by azadi

Why do you want to abolish the Scottish Parliament? 

It's horrifically expensive and only exists to pander to the nationalists who are tearing my country apart.
I don't expect it to ever be dissolved but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
Additionally, I'm against unicameral parliaments and modernist architecture. 

__________________
ceterum censeo caetum europaeum delendum esse
The Scottish Tory - https://sites.google.com/view/scottishtory
Scots for a French Royal Restoration - https://sites.google.com/view/sfrr
bator

Registered:
Posts: 251
Reply with quote  #7 
i agree with you on the last part. especially as there exist the traditional building of the scottish parliament. it should have been out there on its original place, to respect tradition and then the court could have been moved. why didnt this happen?
azadi

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 814
Reply with quote  #8 
The Parliament of Kurdistan:
Kurdistan-Parliament.jpg 
The Reichstag building in Berlin, where the Bundestag meets:
1220px-Berlin_-_Reichstag_building_at_night_-_2013.jpg 

MatthewJTaylor

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 156
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bator
i agree with you on the last part. especially as there exist the traditional building of the scottish parliament. it should have been out there on its original place, to respect tradition and then the court could have been moved. why didnt this happen?

I think it was mostly a question of size.
When in Edinburgh, the contrast between the rejected beautiful buildings and the accepted monstrosity is most apparent.

__________________
ceterum censeo caetum europaeum delendum esse
The Scottish Tory - https://sites.google.com/view/scottishtory
Scots for a French Royal Restoration - https://sites.google.com/view/sfrr
MatthewJTaylor

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 156
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by azadi
The Parliament of Kurdistan:

The Reichstag building in Berlin, where the Bundestag meets:


The Reichstag looks much nicer though I dislike the glass dome.
The Kurdistan flag is more appealing than the German flag though.

__________________
ceterum censeo caetum europaeum delendum esse
The Scottish Tory - https://sites.google.com/view/scottishtory
Scots for a French Royal Restoration - https://sites.google.com/view/sfrr
azadi

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 814
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewJTaylor


The Reichstag looks much nicer though I dislike the glass dome.
The Kurdistan flag is more appealing than the German flag though.

I agree, that the Reichstag is more beautiful than the Kurdish parliament building, but the Kurdish parliament building is hardly ugly. The Kurdish parliament building is far more beautiful than the Scottish parliament building. I like the glass dome of the Reichstag.
bator

Registered:
Posts: 251
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewJTaylor


The Reichstag looks much nicer though I dislike the glass dome.
The Kurdistan flag is more appealing than the German flag though.


yes the reichstag should have been totally restored to its original looks, and yes to me the kurdish parliament is totally acceptable as there didnt exist a former more traditional parliament building there.
azadi

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 814
Reply with quote  #13 
The Scottish Parliament building:
images.jpg 
The Russian Duma building:
CtCAnUz9aF0MvwZEGwJesiC1dKZm2yA2.jpg The Duma building is beautiful, while the Scottish Parliament building is ugly.

azadi

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 814
Reply with quote  #14 
Debating chamber of the Parliament of Kurdistan:
kurdistanparliament33.jpg 
Debating chamber of the German Bundestag:
plenum.jpg Debating chamber of the Scottish Parliament:
Debating_chamber_Scottish_Parliament_31-05-2006.jpg  Debating chamber of the Russian Duma:
2f4705ea-ba95-4cfa-a1c8-e5c87b9315da.jpg 
I prefer the debating chambers of the Parliament of Kurdistan and the Duma to the debating chambers of the Bundestag and the Scottish Parliament.

MatthewJTaylor

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 156
Reply with quote  #15 
For once we agree Azadi[rofl]
Anyway, can we now bring back this thread to it's original purpose, the political expression of southern irish unionism?

__________________
ceterum censeo caetum europaeum delendum esse
The Scottish Tory - https://sites.google.com/view/scottishtory
Scots for a French Royal Restoration - https://sites.google.com/view/sfrr
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.