Monarchy Forum
Sign up Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 4 of 5      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next
ROO86

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 110
Reply with quote  #46 
That does have a nice ring to it!
AaronTraas

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 537
Reply with quote  #47 
@Royalcello -- can I please propose a new policy? 

Can we forbid deletion or substantial edits to posts that have been replied to? This has been somewhat obnoxious of late on the part of one user. Deleting or editing the substance of a post after it's been replied to -- sometimes hours or days later -- kills the continuity of discussion, and makes the poster seem dishonest. 

I'd define a substantial edit as something other than spelling, punctuation, formatting, or similar. 
royalcello

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 6,830
Reply with quote  #48 

I see your point, but that might be difficult to enforce.

 

(I have occasionally taken the liberty of editing others' initial posts to correct a typo in the title of the thread, but obviously you're not talking about that.)

Peter

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 7,547
Reply with quote  #49 
I regularly edit one of Murtagon's posts, but only at his invitation (the post in question needs to be updated from time to time and is too old for him to access it, whereas I still can). Otherwise while I have occasionally got twitchy fingers over a typo I have always manfully resisted meddling. To turn to the question at hand, I hardly ever remember this noxious behaviour before, but the troll who has been disrupting the forum for months now does it regularly. He is wary of open rule breaches, so there is a chance the mere existence of such a rule would inhibit him. There is of course another way of dealing with the problem, and that is what I would heartily recommend you do. It is quite evident by now that he is here only to cause disturbance and upset, and no kind of reform seems at all likely.
Wessexman

Registered:
Posts: 1,856
Reply with quote  #50 
Does the software not allow a time limit on editing?
Peter

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 7,547
Reply with quote  #51 
Anyone can edit their own post until the post in question reaches a certain age, not sure what exactly, after which they cannot, the post is 'frozen'. Moderators can edit anyone's post of any age, which applies to me in one section only and royalcello everywhere.
Wessexman

Registered:
Posts: 1,856
Reply with quote  #52 
I'm not sure of the particular software for this forum, but usually the administrator has the ability to change the time allowed for editing. It can probably be limited to a quite short period, like ten minutes. That would probably do the trick.
Peter

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 7,547
Reply with quote  #53 
I see what you meant now. I'm not sure either whether the forum software makes that possible, or if it does whether my limited scope would allow me to do it. I'll look into it at some point, and in the meantime am perfectly happy to keep helping Murtagon out as needed.
Murtagon

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 235
Reply with quote  #54 
Thank you, Peter! I think the time limit is two months, but I may be mistaken.
Peter

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 7,547
Reply with quote  #55 
You're very welcome. I see now that I still hadn't understood what Wessexman was saying. He was suggesting that royalcello could reset the limit globally, thus reducing the scope for mischief. Perhaps he could, but that would seem harsh on everyone else when it is only one person committing the mischief in the first place.

As a PS to the above, I have now had a look at the question. The time limit can only be changed by Website Toolbox themselves, which they will consider at the request of owners or administrators. Doesn't seem worth the bother. Without going to that length users can be prevented from either editing or deleting their posts altogether, though it wasn't clear to me from the language whether this can be done user-by-user or only globally. Of course I lack the access to look at the necessary controls and work it out. Anyway I still favour a much simpler solution.
AaronTraas

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 537
Reply with quote  #56 

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcello
I see your point, but that might be difficult to enforce.


Noted, but I was assuming moderators' discretion. You graciously give us a wide berth here, which is appreciated.

I'll shut up now about it. Maybe that's the smarter thing to do in general -- not respond to a poster who does this sort of thing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
He is wary of open rule breaches, so there is a chance the mere existence of such a rule would inhibit him.


That was my thinking. 
azadi

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,474
Reply with quote  #57 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
I regularly edit one of Murtagon's posts, but only at his invitation (the post in question needs to be updated from time to time and is too old for him to access it, whereas I still can). Otherwise while I have occasionally got twitchy fingers over a typo I have always manfully resisted meddling. To turn to the question at hand, I hardly ever remember this noxious behaviour before, but the troll who has been disrupting the forum for months now does it regularly. He is wary of open rule breaches, so there is a chance the mere existence of such a rule would inhibit him. There is of course another way of dealing with the problem, and that is what I would heartily recommend you do. It is quite evident by now that he is here only to cause disturbance and upset, and no kind of reform seems at all likely.

I'm not here only to cause disturbance and upset. I'm actually expressing my sincere opinions.
I sincerely regret having expressed my bias against England on this forum, because it has made the British members of the forum hostile to me. It has indeed caused disturbance and upset on this forum. I don't regret having condemned Britain making Kurdistan part of Iraq, because it has enabled Iraq to oppress the Kurds, but I regret having expressed my biases against England on other matters.
I want to remain a member of the forum, because I want to publish my alternate history story on this forum. I'm willing to refrain from participating in debates on this forum in exchange for being allowed to remain a member of this forum in order to publish my alternate history story, if Theodore wants me to leave the forum.

Ethiomonarchist

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 5,345
Reply with quote  #58 
Quote:
I'm not here only to cause disturbance and upset. I'm actually expressing my sincere opinions.
I sincerely regret having expressed my bias against England on this forum, because it has made the British members of the forum hostile to me.


What you fail to grasp is that it is not your views on England or anything else that have turned people off on you (and not just the British members), but rather your behavior.  I'm not British, I could care less what you think of England or any other subject, but I am very turned off on you because of your behavior.  Sometimes one needs to be an adult and realize when everyone else in a group has a problem with you it might be wise to look inward and see if the problem lies with you rather than everyone else.

__________________
The Lion of Judah hath prevailed.

Ethiopia stretches her hands unto God (Quote from Psalm 68 which served as the Imperial Motto of the Ethiopian Empire)

"God and history shall remember your judgment." (Quote from Emperor Haile Selassie I's speech to the League of Nations to plead for assistance against the Italian Invasion, 1936.)
AaronTraas

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 537
Reply with quote  #59 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethiomonarchist

What you fail to grasp is that it is not your views on England or anything else that have turned people off on you (and not just the British members), but rather your behavior.  I'm not British, I could care less what you think of England or any other subject, but I am very turned off on you because of your behavior.  Sometimes one needs to be an adult and realize when everyone else in a group has a problem with you it might be wise to look inward and see if the problem lies with you rather than everyone else.


I'm quoting Ethiomonarchist, this is directed at Azadi -- the above point has been made clear to you multiple times by multiple people in many threads. 

You're apologizing for things no one cares about while ignoring the real issues. 

Seriously, grow up.
azadi

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,474
Reply with quote  #60 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethiomonarchist


What you fail to grasp is that it is not your views on England or anything else that have turned people off on you (and not just the British members), but rather your behavior.  I'm not British, I could care less what you think of England or any other subject, but I am very turned off on you because of your behavior.  Sometimes one needs to be an adult and realize when everyone else in a group has a problem with you it might be wise to look inward and see if the problem lies with you rather than everyone else.

I admit that the problem lies with me. I sincerely want to change my behaviour, because I regret having caused disturbance and upset on the forum. I claimed that my views on England have turned people off on me, because I noticed a significant increase in hostility to me, when I began discussing Gibraltar. But you are likely right, when you claim that it's my behaviour rather than my opinions, which have made other members of the forum hostile to me.
I don't understand, why my behaviour is appalling to other members of the forum. I would like to know how to change my behaviour in order to make other members of the forum less hostile to me.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.