Monarchy Forum
Sign up Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
Peter

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 7,168
Reply with quote  #16 
Before I speak, I should make clear that I am a moderator only for the Royal Genealogy section. Whatever it says beside my name, outside that section I have no authority and no different powers to any other member. Royalcello is the only person with general authority. However, since he visits only rarely and it may be some time before he next does, as a long-standing member I will try to help. The rule that will be concerning you is this one. I remember the circumstances that brought it about; a member who is no longer active was of Jacobite views and took to calling the Queen 'Princess Elizabeth of Schleswig-Holstein'.

This was objected to, and indeed objectionable, hence the rule stating that all current monarchs must be given their accustomed styles. Further, and not unreasonably, it was ruled that the legitimacy of current monarchs must not be questioned, which effectively meant that Jacobites could not argue for the Queen to be replaced by the Duke of Bavaria, or Carlists for Juan Carlos I and later Felipe VI to be replaced by whatever random lottery pick is the current Carlist claimant. I say effectively because none of the other thrones is disputed in the same way.

Discussion of the rights and wrongs of historical Jacobitism or Carlism however remained fine. Nothing at all was said about secession, so there is no as such rule against advocating it. I don't though think it would be in accordance with the general aims of the forum to vigorously argue for the secession of part of a monarchy either to a republic or to become a republic. Irish Nationalists and Catalan separatists would both need to be very careful in what they said, with nothing at all being the best plan. Those are both very alive causes, which I don't believe the secession of the German-speaking parts of Belgium is; the inhabitants of these regions enjoy a fair degree of autonomy and as far as I know are content to be in Belgium. However that may be, I would suggest that you have already made your own views on the matter amply clear and should be satisfied with that.

I am sure that there is no problem at all with citizens of a republic who are monarchist sympathisers remaining loyal to their country.
azadi

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 965
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
Before I speak, I should make clear that I am a moderator only for the Royal Genealogy section. Whatever it says beside my name, outside that section I have no authority and no different powers to any other member. Royalcello is the only person with general authority. However, since he visits only rarely and it may be some time before he next does, as a long-standing member I will try to help. The rule that will be concerning you is this one. I remember the circumstances that brought it about; a member who is no longer active was of Jacobite views and took to calling the Queen 'Princess Elizabeth of Schleswig-Holstein'.

This was objected to, and indeed objectionable, hence the rule stating that all current monarchs must be given their accustomed styles. Further, and not unreasonably, it was ruled that the legitimacy of current monarchs must not be questioned, which effectively meant that Jacobites could not argue for the Queen to be replaced by the Duke of Bavaria, or Carlists for Juan Carlos I and later Felipe VI to be replaced by whatever random lottery pick is the current Carlist claimant. I say effectively because none of the other thrones is disputed in the same way.

Discussion of the rights and wrongs of historical Jacobitism or Carlism however remained fine. Nothing at all was said about secession, so there is no as such rule against advocating it. I don't though think it would be in accordance with the general aims of the forum to vigorously argue for the secession of part of a monarchy either to a republic or to become a republic. Irish Nationalists and Catalan separatists would both need to be very careful in what they said, with nothing at all being the best plan. Those are both very alive causes, which I don't believe the secession of the German-speaking parts of Belgium is; the inhabitants of these regions enjoy a fair degree of autonomy and as far as I know are content to be in Belgium. However that may be, I would suggest that you have already made your own views on the matter amply clear and should be satisfied with that.

I am sure that there is no problem at all with citizens of a republic who are monarchist sympathisers remaining loyal to their country.

It's true, that most Germans in East Belgium (Eupen and Sankt Vith) are content to be part of Belgium, because German is an official language of Belgium and East Belgium enjoys autonomy. But if Flanders secedes from Belgium, German separatism in East Belgium will likely emerge, because the Germans of East Belgium will be a tiny minority in an independent Francophone Wallonia (East Belgium is part of Wallonia). Wallonia will likely become an independent kingdom ruled by the Belgian royal family, if Flanders secede from Belgium, because most Walloons, who are accustomed to far-reaching autonomy within Belgium, will refuse to join the centralist French Republic.
Peter

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 7,168
Reply with quote  #18 
If. Further speculation on something there is no imminent threat of and which may never happen would be pointless and annoying. If you insist on doing it anyway, I suggest it would be better to start a thread for the purpose in the appropriate section rather than continuing to hijack this one.
DavidV

Registered:
Posts: 5,059
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
Before I speak, I should make clear that I am a moderator only for the Royal Genealogy section. Whatever it says beside my name, outside that section I have no authority and no different powers to any other member. Royalcello is the only person with general authority. However, since he visits only rarely and it may be some time before he next does, as a long-standing member I will try to help.


I confess openly here that I worry for this forum's future. Its life in the last five years has been one of slow and painful descent, despite the best efforts of myself and others to keep up interesting discussion. I'm not sure what options are there left and where will we go to keep monarchist discussion alive.

Despite my own public differences with Theodore, I still respect and am grateful that he has been able to provide a small public forum for discussion and ideas. I just hate to think it could go to waste through declining interest or neglect.
azadi

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 965
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidV


I confess openly here that I worry for this forum's future. Its life in the last five years has been one of slow and painful descent, despite the best efforts of myself and others to keep up interesting discussion. I'm not sure what options are there left and where will we go to keep monarchist discussion alive.

Despite my own public differences with Theodore, I still respect and am grateful that he has been able to provide a small public forum for discussion and ideas. I just hate to think it could go to waste through declining interest or neglect.

I'm keeping it alive. I have actually made this forum more diverse, because it's almost exclusively populated by Anglosphere monarchists. A Kurd, who is descended from German nobility, provides different perspectives on monarchism from those of Anglosphere monarchists. In addition, Murtagon has joined the forum recently and has contributed a lot to it, and Peter, Wessexman and Baron von Servers still contribute a lot to the forum. So this forum is hardly dying. If you want to keep this forum alive, you can respond to my posts, which you rarely do. I know, that we disagree on Russia, Syria and the legacy of British colonialism in India, Africa and the Middle East, but I like discussing with my opponents.
Murtagon

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 111
Reply with quote  #21 
Yes, one of the reasons why I joined this place was because I wanted to reinvigorate it in my own way.

True, there are many monarchist forums, but I chose this one due to already being familiar with it and the fact that it wasn't sensationalist.

Similarly to Azadi, I represent a region which had not really been covered here, which I felt was a grave omission [wink]

Thanks to anyone who's contributing in one way or another!

Incidentally, I don't think we have a quota to fulfill, so this way the discussions flow more naturally. I hope people understand what I've just written...
Wessexman

Registered:
Posts: 1,559
Reply with quote  #22 
I personally would like to know if there's a rule against sock puppets?
azadi

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 965
Reply with quote  #23 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wessexman
I personally would like to know if there's a rule against sock puppets?

Why do you claim, that I'm a sock puppet? I have NEVER been a member of this forum under another username. Which former member of the forum do you claim I'm a sockpuppet of? Please provide evidence for your accusations against me. 

Peter

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 7,168
Reply with quote  #24 
I accept that Azadi is a real person and also believe his denial of having previously been on the forum. Doesn't mean I agree with everything he has to say, far from it, but I don't doubt he is giving his own genuine points of view rather than trolling. It would anyway be impossible to prove otherwise, so I suggest this line of argument be put aside. Up to you of course, but I really don't see it as leading anywhere.
azadi

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 965
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
I accept that Azadi is a real person and also believe his denial of having previously been on the forum. Doesn't mean I agree with everything he has to say, far from it, but I don't doubt he is giving his own genuine points of view rather than trolling. It would anyway be impossible to prove otherwise, so I suggest this line of argument be put aside. Up to you of course, but I really don't see it as leading anywhere.

Thank you.
Wessexman

Registered:
Posts: 1,559
Reply with quote  #26 
You're right, if one has taken elementary precautions, like using a VPN. Most forum software will show shared IP addresses, but VPNs can get around that.
MatthewJTaylor

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 179
Reply with quote  #27 

Is the forum anti-VPN?

I tend to use an American server whilst in reality being in the UK.


__________________
ceterum censeo caetum europaeum delendum esse
The Scottish Tory - https://sites.google.com/view/scottishtory
Scots for a French Royal Restoration - https://sites.google.com/view/sfrr
MatthewJTaylor

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 179
Reply with quote  #28 
Additionally, would I be violating the rules if, in a conversation on religion, I (a reformed protestant who holds to the Pope is Antichrist doctrine)  advocated for the dissolution of the Papacy given that the Holy See is a Monarchy?
__________________
ceterum censeo caetum europaeum delendum esse
The Scottish Tory - https://sites.google.com/view/scottishtory
Scots for a French Royal Restoration - https://sites.google.com/view/sfrr
Wessexman

Registered:
Posts: 1,559
Reply with quote  #29 
Maybe I'm just a little paranoid, because I was part of a forum where the use of sock puppets by one poster was suspected.
Windemere

Registered:
Posts: 435
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewJTaylor
Additionally, would I be violating the rules if, in a conversation on religion, I (a reformed protestant who holds to the Pope is Antichrist doctrine)  advocated for the dissolution of the Papacy given that the Holy See is a Monarchy?


I'm just speculating, but I don't think there would be anything wrong with advocating for dissolution of the Papacy, as long as it was done in a way respectful of those who believe in that institution.

__________________
Dis Aliter Visum "Beware of martyrs and those who would die for their beliefs; for they frequently make many others die with them, often before them, sometimes instead of them."
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.