Monarchy Forum
Sign up Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
royalcello

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 6,815
Reply with quote  #1 
I am going to dramatically increase the strictness of the rule about zero-post accounts.  This is because lately there have been a lot of transparently fraudulent (e.g. profiles with nonsensical or silly "information" such as birth dates that are not actual years) accounts created and I am sick of it.  I do not want our membership totals inflated by phony accounts even if they do not post any spam.

Therefore, for the time being, new registered members are asked to please do at least ONE of the following quickly after registering if they do not wish their account to be deleted:

Fill out the profile in such a way so that it is clear that you are a real person genuinely interested in discussion about monarchy. 

OR

Make at least one post indicating the same.


"@mail.ru" accounts seem to be invariably spam and are hereby declared unwelcome.  Our one Russian actual member that I know of, Antonius, does not have such an account.

Furthermore, starting January 1, accounts that have not made a single post after six months will be deleted even if the profile appears to be legitimate.  (I'm sure KYMonarchist will help me enforce this.)  Come on, people.  It's not that hard.  One (1) post!  The "Introduce Yourself!" thread is a good place to start.

Obviously, those members who have already made one or more posts, especially our "regulars" (and former "regulars," though in most cases I wish they'd come back) don't need to worry about anything.

Sorry to sound severe but I am tired of these nonsense accounts for "people" with "names" like "Coeriaexhaxia" and "birthdates" like "10B7."    For some reason most of them seem to identify their favorite movie as "13 Going on 30."   That is an actual movie, but unlikely to suddenly become the all-time favorite of multiple monarchists.

By the way, while at a monarchist forum many of us might wish we had been born in 1878, 1678, or 1278, under the circumstances I would advise against putting any obviously false information in profiles, in case anyone is or has been tempted to do that.  The purpose of the profile is to be as informative as the user is willing to be, but not funny or fanciful.

KYMonarchist

Registered:
Posts: 4,853
Reply with quote  #2 

Ya know, I thought there was something odd about all those accounts with faux Russian book titles and the same information in just about every profile.


__________________
"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness. When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
JonathanCid

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 170
Reply with quote  #3 
Sounds like a fair policy. Who knew "13 Going On 30" was so popular amongst Russian monarchists? 
__________________
"There is only one Jesus Christ and all the rest is a dispute over trifles." - HM Queen Elizabeth I
BaronVonServers

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 11,993
Reply with quote  #4 
All content is visible without an account, right (so the 'lurkers' can still 'lurk')?  No one loses any 'access' by being one of they 'shy retiring types', right?

I see no downside, even from the 'devil's advocate' position....

__________________
"In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas"

I am NOT an authorized representative of my Government.

Learn more about the Dominion of British West Florida at http://dbwf.net
royalcello

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 6,815
Reply with quote  #5 
Yes, that's right.  Lurkers don't need an account to lurk.
BaronVonServers

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 11,993
Reply with quote  #6 
No reason at all to let them soil your reputation then....

__________________
"In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas"

I am NOT an authorized representative of my Government.

Learn more about the Dominion of British West Florida at http://dbwf.net
KYMonarchist

Registered:
Posts: 4,853
Reply with quote  #7 
Is there a way to prevent these spam memberships for happening in the first place?


Funniest occupation I've ever seen is "sellin that skunk". What kind of jobs do they do in Russia these days now?

__________________
"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness. When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
royalcello

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 6,815
Reply with quote  #8 
I wish.  Not that I know of.
sir_Roman_D

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 102
Reply with quote  #9 
I welcome the Owner of this forum and all participants. It is pleasant to me to receive registration on these pages. It was also pleasant to me to learn about it that supporters Monarchic are among citizens of the United States of America.

I wish all of you many successes in those affairs and plans which you make. Let all of you will be helped by our Mister God Jesus Christ.

I hope also that our conversations and acquaintances on these pages will be benevolent and will help all of us to learn better than each other.

I remain with big respect for each of you, misters.

__________________
Non Nobis, Domine, Non Nobis, Sed Nomini Tuo Da Gloriam!
azadi

Registered:
Posts: 384
Reply with quote  #10 
I would like a clarification of the rules regarding secession from monarchies. You ban questioning the legitimacy of the current European monarchies, but does that extend to secession from those monarchies, or does it only apply to deposing the currently reigning dynasties entirely? I'm a Kurdish nationalist, and I would have supported Kurdish independence from Iraq, even if Iraq had remained a monarchy, but I will NEVER advocate deposing any currently reigning dynasty entirely. I support Kurdistan becoming a monarchy ruled by an Osmanoglu Shah. Despite being a Kurd, I'm descended from German nobility. I would like Eupen and Sankt Vith, which are German-speaking regions of Belgium, which belonged to Germany before World War I, to be reunified with Germany, despite Belgium being a monarchy and Germany being a republic. But I promise never to mention that opinion on this forum, if it's against the rules.
Murtagon

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 54
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by azadi
I would like a clarification of the rules regarding secession from monarchies. You ban questioning the legitimacy of the current European monarchies, but does that extend to secession from those monarchies, or does it only apply to deposing the currently reigning dynasties entirely? I'm a Kurdish nationalist, and I would have supported Kurdish independence from Iraq, even if Iraq had remained a monarchy, but I will NEVER advocate deposing any currently reigning dynasty entirely. I support Kurdistan becoming a monarchy ruled by an Osmanoglu Shah. Despite being a Kurd, I'm descended from German nobility. I would like Eupen and Sankt Vith, which are German-speaking regions of Belgium, which belonged to Germany before World War I, to be reunified with Germany, despite Belgium being a monarchy and Germany being a republic. But I promise never to mention that opinion on this forum, if it's against the rules.


And yet you did! 😉

I believe there was a thread on this forum somewhere, about the whole point of the existence of Belgium. I think there was one reason in 1830 and a different one nearly 200 years later.

It's a monarchy. It's as simple as that. I do agree with you to an extent about the nationality and language question, as it's something near and dear to me. However, it could be argued that Germany doesn't deserve these German-speaking regions of Belgium, because the former is a republic and the latter isn't.

In my personal opinion, putting the legitimacy of monarchs and dynasties in question could be done ONLY after the world at large has embraced monarchism again. It is otherwise extremely counterproductive to the entire monarchist cause.

Incidentally, I think of Belgium as a monarchical version of Switzerland.
azadi

Registered:
Posts: 384
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murtagon


And yet you did! 😉

I believe there was a thread on this forum somewhere, about the whole point of the existence of Belgium. I think there was one reason in 1830 and a different one nearly 200 years later.

It's a monarchy. It's as simple as that. I do agree with you to an extent about the nationality and language question, as it's something near and dear to me. However, it could be argued that Germany doesn't deserve these German-speaking regions of Belgium, because the former is a republic and the latter isn't.

In my personal opinion, putting the legitimacy of monarchs and dynasties in question could be done ONLY after the world at large has embraced monarchism again. It is otherwise extremely counterproductive to the entire monarchist cause.

Incidentally, I think of Belgium as a monarchical version of Switzerland.

I apologize. I have never read that thread. It must have happened several years before I joined the forum. 
I proposed the return of Belgium to its pre-World War I borders, not partition of Belgium. I agree, that Belgium ought to survive, because it's a monarchy, and Belgium has been a distinct region since the 16th century, when the Netherlands seceded from Spain, while Belgium stayed part of Spain.
But I must admit, that I prefer the Federal Republic of Germany to most republics, because it recognizes titles of nobility as part of the legal name. In Austria, the use of titles of nobility is banned entirely, and even the nobiliary particles von and zu are banned in Austria.
I solemnly promise never to mention Eupen and Sankt Vith on this forum in the future, if Theodore decides, that it's against the rules of the forum.


Murtagon

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 54
Reply with quote  #13 
You do not have to apologise, no offense taken. In fact, I believe this is the thread in question:
https://royalcello.websitetoolbox.com/post/what-is-belgium-actually-for-2875967?highlight=point+belgium&trail=15

Yes, this difference between Germany and Austria (and Czechia too, as far as I know) is curious. I wonder why it happened - cultural reasons, perhaps?

As an aside, am I right when I say that the Netherlands is the only country bordering Germany, where German is neither an official nor a regional/minority language?
azadi

Registered:
Posts: 384
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murtagon
You do not have to apologise, no offense taken. In fact, I believe this is the thread in question:
https://royalcello.websitetoolbox.com/post/what-is-belgium-actually-for-2875967?highlight=point+belgium&trail=15

Yes, this difference between Germany and Austria (and Czechia too, as far as I know) is curious. I wonder why it happened - cultural reasons, perhaps?

As an aside, am I right when I say that the Netherlands is the only country bordering Germany, where German is neither an official nor a regional/minority language?

An important reason for titles of nobility remaining a part of the legal name in Germany, but not in Austria, is that the social democrats was more moderate in Germany than in Austria at the end of World War I, when the German and Austrian monarchies were abolished. The German SPD (social democrats) cooperated with the German army against the Spartacists, a Communist movement led by Karl Liebknecht and Rosa Luxemburg.
You're right. German is the predominant language of Germany, Austria and Liechtenstein, an official language of Belgium, Luxembourg and Switzerland and a minority language in Poland, Czechia and the Danish region of Northern Schleswig. Liechtenstein is the only true German monarchy left, because the Belgian royal family and the Luxembourgish grand ducal family are Francophone. The Belgian royal family is more German than the Luxembourgish grand ducal family, because the Belgian royal family are Saxe-Coburg-Gothas, while the Luxembourgish grand ducal family is a branch of the Dutch royal family.
azadi

Registered:
Posts: 384
Reply with quote  #15 
I would like the rules being clear regarding advocating secession, because Theodore often has condemned secession, despite secession not being explicitly named in the rules. Wessexman once claimed, that advocating Irish unification might be against the rule. As a member of the forum, who support Kurdish secession from Iraq, who support Eupen and Sankt Vith seceding from an independent Kingdom of Wallonia (Eupen and Sankt Vith remaining parts of Belgium is acceptable, because German is an official language of Belgium, but I fear an independent Wallonia (Eupen and Sankt Vith are parts of Wallonia) will emulate France's oppression of linguistic minorities, if Flanders secedes from Belgium. The German language is in decline in Alsace, which once was entirely German-speaking) and who support Irish nationalism to some extent (I supported Irish unification, before I joined the forum, but I changed my mind, because Baron von Servers told me about Catholic unionism in Northern Ireland), I would like clear rules.
To me, banning a member of the forum, because that member is loyal to his or her nation, even if it harms a current monarchy, is unjust, as long as that member doesn't advocate republicanism for its own sake. My parents were forced to flee Kurdistan because of the oppression of Saddam. Expecting such a member of the forum to reject separatism for the sake of monarchism is unfair. I know, that you can't identify emotionally with USA, despite being an American, and that you want to emigrate to Great Britain. But I'm able to identify emotionally with Kurdistan, despite its autonomous regional government being a republic, and I would rather live in the Federal Republic of Germany, where I lived until I returned to Kurdistan with my parents after Operation Iraqi Freedom, than in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. People like me, who prefer monarchies to republics, but remain loyal to their homeland even if it's a republic, ought to be allowed to be members of your forum.
But if you ban advocating secession from current monarchies, I will abide by those rules, because it's your forum.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.