Monarchy Forum
Sign up Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 4 of 6      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   Next
azadi

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,474
Reply with quote  #46 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VivatReginaScottorum
I quite like King Felipe VI and the Spanish Bourbons, but a Roman Catholic European empire stretching from Scandinavia to Sicily and the Atlantic to the Black Sea sounds like my worst nightmare come true, and I doubt it would be particularly popular with the majority Protestant and Eastern Orthodox member states of the EU either.

I prefer Roman Catholicism to Protestantism. My sister is a Chaldean Catholic. My uncle and my cousins are Latin Catholics, who live in Spain.
My support for electing King Felipe Emperor of Europe is an important reason for my support for Brexit. I don't want a Windsor to be elected Emperor of Europe, because I'm opposed to a Protestant being elected Emperor of Europe.
VivatReginaScottorum

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 367
Reply with quote  #47 
Quote:
Originally Posted by azadi

I prefer Roman Catholicism to Protestantism. My sister is a Chaldean Catholic. My uncle and my cousins are Latin Catholics, who live in Spain. My uncle converted to Latin Catholicism, because he married a Colombian woman. My sister converted to Chaldean Catholicism, because the Chaldean Catholic Church, which is the Uniate branch of the Church of the East, is more willing to use the Kurdish language than the Assyrian Church of the East.
My support for electing King Felipe Emperor of Europe is an important reason for my support of Brexit. I don't want a Windsor to be elected Emperor of Europe, because I'm opposed to a Protestant being elected Emperor of Europe.

Well, fortunately for us Protestants your personal prejudices are of no consequence to the future of the European Union.

__________________
That which concerns the mystery of the King's power is not lawful to be disputed; for that is to wade into the weakness of Princes, and to take away the mystical reverence that belongs unto them that sit in the throne of God. - James VI and I of England, Scotland and Ireland
azadi

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,474
Reply with quote  #48 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VivatReginaScottorum

Well, fortunately for us Protestants your personal prejudices are of no consequence to the future of the European Union.

I want a federal EU to grant the citizens of the EU freedom of religion, if King Felipe is elected Emperor of Europe, but I want the Roman Catholic Church to be the established church of a federal EU.
I want Contra Terrentum EQR to return to the forum, despite being a Bonapartist.
Peter

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 7,513
Reply with quote  #49 
I rather thought the citizens of the EU already had freedom of religion. The chances of the EU having an established church are perhaps even smaller than the chances of any of your other flights of fancy coming true. Similarly for the EU deciding it really is the reincarnation of the Holy Roman Empire and therefore ought to have an elected hereditary Emperor. I knew Contra in the online sense for several years and we had many a wrangle. Although we agreed on nothing, zilch and zip not to mention nada I did not at all dislike him and would be perfectly happy for him to return to participation. But you have never debated with him. He does not take prisoners and I assure you that he would not like you one tiny little bit, he would let you know all about that and you would not enjoy the experience one tiny little bit either. Be careful what you wish for.
azadi

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,474
Reply with quote  #50 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
I rather thought the citizens of the EU already had freedom of religion. The chances of the EU having an established church are perhaps even smaller than the chances of any of your other flights of fancy coming true. Similarly for the EU deciding it really is the reincarnation of the Holy Roman Empire and therefore ought to have an elected hereditary Emperor. I knew Contra in the online sense for several years and we had many a wrangle. Although we agreed on nothing, zilch and zip not to mention nada I did not at all dislike him and would be perfectly happy for him to return to participation. But you have never debated with him. He does not take prisoners and I assure you that he would not like you one tiny little bit, he would let you know all about that and you would not enjoy the experience one tiny little bit either. Be careful what you wish for.

I will never accept the EU becoming a secular federal republic. Monarchism is more important to me than Pan-Europeanism. I fear that a European federal republic will abolish the 6 current monarchies of the EU. 

Peter

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 7,513
Reply with quote  #51 
You already posted all that babble in another thread. It really wasn't necessary to inflict it on us twice, or even once, we're not in the least interested. But please do at least stop there.
bator

Registered:
Posts: 296
Reply with quote  #52 
Quote:
Originally Posted by azadi

I live in South Schleswig. I have often visited Denmark. Most Danes can speak German. I have never been to the Netherlands, but the Dutch language is far more similar to the German language than the English language and the Scandinavian languages are. The Netherlands are culturally closer to Germany than Denmark is, because Denmark is a Scandinavian country. Denmark is culturally close to both Germany and the other Scandinavian countries. 


to say that most danes can speak german is unfortunately not true, though we ought to as germany is our big neighbour and trade partner. in southern jutland i would say most people can speak german but not in denmark generally. i would agree that netherlands are closer to germany than denmark, because both dutch and german are west germanic languages (as english and frisian too) whether danish and norwegian, swedish icelandic and faroese are north germanic languages, and in older times dutch was regarded as a german dialect. but i wouldnt say that denmark really is closer to germany culturally than the other nordic countries.
bator

Registered:
Posts: 296
Reply with quote  #53 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
Dutch is more similar to German than English is, but it is a matter of degree not kind, all three languages are closely related (and you could throw in Frisian for a fourth). Danish is more distantly related to these tongues than any of them are to each other. I haven't been to Denmark myself so can't speak of it, but have to both the Netherlands and Germany and they are clearly different from each other. There are similarities to be sure, but then so there are between England and either of these. I do not doubt that Denmark likewise has both differences to and affinities with Germany, and differences to and affinities with the other Scandinavian countries; in view of their very similar languages and intertwined histories, I would expect more of the latter than with Germany.

But that's just me guessing, perhaps Bator as a Dane who, I feel sure, knows Norway and Sweden and also Germany well might like to give his view. But at the moment I remain unconvinced that Denmark, and the Netherlands for that matter, can blithely be swept into the Germanosphere. Were I Danish or Dutch, I might even feel offended. But that is for Bator and perhaps Dutchmonarchist if he reads this to say.


thank you for inviting me. well if you had been at a place in northern germany where they still speak low saxon, that and dutch would be closer to each other than any of them to standard german. and both of them in a middle position between english (and frisian) on one side, and standard german on the other side. also, you could argue that german is closer to danish than to english, but only when it comes to vocabulary and that is only due to all the french loan words in english. without them i think danish would have been closer to english than to german.  eg, we both have v in places where german has b. english weaver, danish væver german weber, english seven danish syv german sieben. english have, danish have, german haben. i am not offended, and of course there has been some minor spill over as we are neighbours to germany, but to say that we should in general be closer to germany that norway or sweden would be to totally blow things out of proportions in my opinion. sorry for my linguistic lecture i just couldnt help it.
bator

Registered:
Posts: 296
Reply with quote  #54 
Quote:
Originally Posted by azadi

Schleswig wasn't part of the HRE, but South Schleswig and urban North Schleswig were German-speaking before 1864, while rural North Schleswig was Danish-speaking before 1864. Westernmost South Schleswig was Frisian-speaking.
.

before 1864 even some parts of south slesvig had danish speaking majority which was lost due to germanization. and further back in history slesvig was not german but danish speaking, and the southernmost part virtually uninhabited. it can still be seen from most of the place names, of which many dont make sense in german but in danish.
azadi

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,474
Reply with quote  #55 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
You already posted all that babble in another thread. It really wasn't necessary to inflict it on us twice, or even once, we're not in the least interested. But please do at least stop there.

The members of this forum ought to know that my sister is a Chaldean Catholic and that I'm considering converting to Chaldean Catholicism, because I prefer Sinn Fein to the DUP. The members of this forum ought to know that my uncle and my cousins live in Spain, because I support the Spanish claim to Gibraltar. The Spanish monarchy is among my favourite current European monarchies, along with the Danish monarchy and the monarchy of Liechtenstein.
I disagree with Contra on Bonapartism, Carlism and constitutional monarchy, but he made the forum less Protestant and Anglocentric. That's why he ought to return to the forum. 
Peter

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 7,513
Reply with quote  #56 
It's not polite to delete a post that's been responded to. Makes the responder look nuts. I'm sure the members of the forum have no wish or need to know any of those things. Thank you for your very full reply, Bator, and don't apologise for the linguistic lecture, it was most interesting.
azadi

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,474
Reply with quote  #57 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
It's not polite to delete a post that's been responded to. Makes the responder look nuts. I'm sure the members of the forum have no wish or need to know any of those things. Thank you for your very full reply, Bator, and don't apologise for the linguistic lecture, it was most interesting.

I have often been attacked by other members of this forum, because I support the Spanish claim to Gibraltar and because I prefer Sinn Fein to the DUP. I want them to understand, why I'm biased in favour of Spain and Irish nationalism. Some members of this forum claim that my support for the Spanish claim to Gibraltar doesn't matter, because I'm neither a Briton nor a Spaniard. I'm not a Spaniard, because I'm neither a Spanish citizen nor of Spanish descent, but my uncle and my cousins live in Spain. 
All Catholic monarchists ought to support the Spanish claim to Gibraltar, because the Spanish monarchy is the most vulnerable current European monarchy. The largest current Catholic monarchy being abolished will be a disaster. I joined this forum in order to defend the Spanish monarchy and support restoration of the Russian and Iranian monarchies. The fate of the Spanish monarchy is far more important to me than the fate of Gibraltar.
Wessexman

Registered:
Posts: 1,846
Reply with quote  #58 
You are criticised as much for the poor arguments you often make in favour of these positions, as for the positions themselves. A case in point is the bizarre linkage you make between the Spanish monarchy and Spain's claim on Gibraltar, such as it is. A cynical person might suggest that you came up with this argument simply to try to guilt trip monarchists who don't agree with the claim. Of course, it still doesn't make much sense. The Spanish King doesn't seem to be especially associated with Spain's claim. At best, one might say that any chaos resulting from a failed attack on Gibraltar might lead to the monarchy being overthrown. But not only is such an attack unlikely, it is far from certain that would be the case in the event of a defeat, at least if the King doesn't become overly associated with the defeat or the government responsible for it. Surely a better course for a lover of the Spanish monarchy would be to advise the Spanish to give up their silly claim, or at least to advise the King not to associate himself with it too strongly.
Peter

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 7,513
Reply with quote  #59 
You have been argued with over your views on Gibraltar. You have not been 'attacked'. You have however been urged not to keep on and on expounding them, because you have done so enough and ten times more already and we all know what they are without reminders. You did not in fact explain your support for Irish nationalism, but please don't. If you want to favour terrorist-loving scum like Sinn Féin, go ahead but try to at least spell their name correctly.
azadi

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,474
Reply with quote  #60 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wessexman
You are criticised as much for the poor arguments you often make in favour of these positions, as for the positions themselves. A case in point is the bizarre linkage you make between the Spanish monarchy and Spain's claim on Gibraltar, such as it is. A cynical person might suggest that you came up with this argument simply to try to guilt trip monarchists who don't agree with the claim. Of course, it still doesn't make much sense. The Spanish King doesn't seem to be especially associated with Spain's claim. At best, one might say that any chaos resulting from a failed attack on Gibraltar might lead to the monarchy being overthrown. But not only is such an attack unlikely, it is far from certain that would be the case in the event of a defeat, at least if the King doesn't become overly associated with the defeat or the government responsible for it. Surely a better course for a lover of the Spanish monarchy would be to advise the Spanish to give up their silly claim, or at least to advise the King not to associate himself with it too strongly.

Most members of this forum underestimate the strength of Spanish republicanism and Peter underestimates the strength of Russian monarchism. Spanish republicanism is far stronger than British republicanism, and Russian monarchism is far stronger than German, Italian and French monarchism. Nobody expected Crimea to be reunified with Russia, Britain to leave the EU and Donald Trump to be elected President of the USA.
I don't want Spain to go to war with Britain over Gibraltar, because the British government doesn't oppress the Gibraltarians. I'm not opposed to Gibraltar remaining a British colony, as long as the majority of the Gibraltarians wants Gibraltar to remain a British colony. But I will support Spain in a war with Britain over Gibraltar, because the fate of the Spanish monarchy is far more important to me than the fate of Gibraltar.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.